With its scenic beaches, rugged wilderness, vibrant towns and award-winning wine, sun-soaked Madeira is an island that dazzles visitors all year round. Your DK Eyewitness Top 10 travel guide ensures you'll find your way around the island of Madeira with absolute ease.
- Seven easy-to-follow itineraries, perfect for a day trip, a weekend, or a week
- Detailed Top 10 lists of Madeira's must-sees, including comprehensive descriptions of Funchal Cathedral, Museu de Arte Sacra, Blandy's Wine Lodge, Museu da Quinta das Cruzes, Zona Velha, Jardim Botânico, Quinta do Palheiro Ferreiro, Monte, Curral das Freiras and Pico do Arieiro
- Madeira's most interesting areas, with the best places for shopping, going out and sightseeing
- Inspiration for different things to enjoy during your trip - including family activities and things to do for free
- A laminated pull-out map of Madeira, plus five full-colour area maps
- Streetsmart advice: get ready, get around, and stay safe
- A lightweight format perfect for your pocket or bag when you're on the move
DK Eyewitness Top 10s are the UK's favourite pocket guides and have been helping travellers to make the most of their breaks since 2002.
by The Raven Brothers
Ever had the desire to jump in your car and keep driving?
Well, that is precisely what The Raven Brothers decided to do whilst stacking boxes of frozen oven chips in a -30 degrees freezer. With a squeaky foot pump and an SAS survival guide, the travel writing duo fired up their rusty Ford Sierra and headed east. After clocking up over 12,000 kilometres, quite literally living in the car, they miraculously arrived in the Far Eastern city of Vladivostok on the Sea of Japan.
What the brothers had in fact done was to drive Russia’s new Trans-Siberian Highway, a staggering eight years before the road was completed. With only very limited skills of wilderness survival and, virtually zero knowledge of the internal combustion engine, Simon and Chris skip over ten time zones in the beat up petrol engine saloon they used for work. Driving through endless rivers and canyons in a bid to cross the notorious Zilov Gap in darkest Siberia, the trusty heroes capture the true spirit of overland travel during a life-altering journey into one of the world’s last frontiers. Along the way they rub shoulders with Chechen criminals, escape highway robbery, trade banana flavoured condoms with Russian cops, meet an eccentric cast of characters at truck stops in darkest Siberia, endure torturous road conditions and enter into a race to the finish with the Germans.
Surviving the journey by the skin of their teeth, the brothers are forced to confront their worst fears in a toe-curling comedy of extreme road trip adventure. Priding themselves on going it alone, The Raven Brothers have been noted by Lonely Planet for their talent to portray an “accurate view of what to expect”.