Discover the freedom of the open road with Europe’s Best Trips. We’ve selected 40 amazing road trips through Italy, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland and Austria, from 3 day escapes to 3 week adventures, and packed them full of expert advice and inspirational suggestions.
Click HERE to buy the Lonely Planet's Europe’s Best Trips travel guide
Whether you want to visit mysterious and compelling megaliths laden with myths and theories in Great Britain or enjoy fine wine amid bucolic scenery, we’ve got the trip for you.
Inside Lonely Planet Europe’s Best Trips:
- Lavish colour and gorgeous photography throughout
- Itineraries and planning advice to pick the right tailored routes for your needs and interests
- Get around easily – over 130 easy-to-read, full-colour route maps, detailed directions
- Insider tips to get around like a local, avoid trouble spots and be safe on the road - local driving rules, parking, toll roads
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, phone numbers, websites, prices
- Honest reviews for all budgets - eating, sleeping, sight-seeing, hidden gems that most guidebooks miss
- Useful features - including Driving Problem Buster, Detours, and Link Your Trip
Covers: Italy, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and more
Curator: Belinda Dixon
Writers: Isabel Albiston, Oliver Berry, Stuart Butler, Kerry Christiani, Fionn Davenport, Marc Di Duca, Peter Dragicevich, Duncan Garwood, Anthony Ham, Paula Hardy, Catherine Le Nevez, Sally O'Brien, Josephine Quintero, Daniel Robinson, Brendan Sainsbury, Andy Symington, Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Nicola Williams, Neil Wilson
by The Raven Brothers
Out of shape and unprepared, The Raven Brothers return to the road in a collection of ten quests to travel to their dream destinations against all odds! After two decades pioneering new routes across the globe, you would expect the authors of 'Driving the Trans-Siberian' to be hotshot explorers, with a sixth sense and an ability to survive in almost any situation. Think again! With virtually zero knowledge of the workings of the internal combustion engine and very limited skills of wilderness survival, Simon and Chris struggle into their hiking boots and power across three continents by river, tarmac and trail.
Venture to the top of Norway, cruise the road to Damascus, hike the Camino trail into Spain’s Wild West, row the Ganges, explore Frida Kahlo’s world in Mexico City, hangout with the dead in Sicily’s eerie catacombs, crawl deep inside Bolivia’s notorious silver mine, seek lions in Gujarat, wellness in Berlin and journey into the Naga Hills where tribal kings still rule.
Noted by Lonely Planet for their talent to portray an “accurate view of what to expect”, 'Hike, Drive, Stayin’ Alive!' signals a return to the duo writing “buttock clenching” travel comedy with the first in a series of candid stories of adventure by The Raven Brothers.