Lonely Planet’s Experience Rome is your guide to unforgettable experiences and local surprises. Explore the city’s ancient icons, gaze at Michelangelo’s masterpieces, and eat a Roman meal in a neighbourhood trattoria - all guided by local experts with fresh perspectives.
Discover newly opened sections of Rome's most famous archaeological monuments. Explore local markets to get a feel for the city's multicultural character. Step into baroque palaces and majestic cathedrals to admire the work of legendary artists. Stand in awe before the masterpieces of the Vatican. Enjoy a slice of pizza rossa as you seek out eye-catching murals in up-and-coming neighbourhoods. Hop from piazza to piazza and take in the elegance of the city's monumental fountains.
Inside Lonely Planet’s Experience Rome:
- Unique experiences to string together for an unforgettable trip
- Inspiring full-colour travel photography and maps throughout
- Pull-out Rome map (included in print version)
- Highlights and neighbourhood trip builders to help tailor a trip to your personal needs and interests
- Insights from local experts take you to the heart of the place - ancient relics, trattoria, piazzas, romance, gelato, the dolce vita lifestyle.
- Fresh perspectives and insider tips to surprise you with things you hadn’t thought of, as well as fresh takes on the well-known sights
- Day trips for easy escapes from the city
- Practical info and tips on money, getting around on the metro, unique and local ways to stay, and responsible travel
Covers Ancient Rome, Centro Storico, Tridente, Trevi & the Quirinale, Vatican City, Borgo & Prati, Monti, Esquilino & San Lorenzo, Trastevere & Gianicolo, San Giovanni & Testaccio, Villa Borghese & Northern Rome, Southern Rome and more
Writers: Elisa Colarossi, Angela Corrias, Angelo Zinna
Uncover Rome’s best experiences and get away from the everyday!